Thursday, February 19, 2015

Gumbo

It's a little chilly out right now; even in Louisiana. So I'm making gumbo. I'm making seafood gumbo, but you can make gumbo with just about anything. And I'm even going to tell you the "cheat" way my grandmother started using after she "got too old to fuss with it all". Funny thing is, no one knew the difference! I have no idea when she quit making her own roux. So here's the easy way!

Ingredients:
2 boxes of Zatarans Gumbo Base
2 boxes of chicken stock
2 cans diced tomatoes 
1 bag of frozen gumbo mix frozen veggies (onion, celery, bell pepper) thawed.
2 lbs of frozen shrimp
1 container lump crabmeat
1 pack of andouille sausage sliced.

In a large stock pot, mix gumbo base chicken stock and 5 cups of water over medium heat. Add veggies and diced tomatoes. Bring to boil. Add sausage and crabmeat. I like to add 1/3 cup of Zatarans seafood boil for extra spice. Stir regularly to keep from burning on bottom. Add shrimp at the end. Boil 5 minutes. Serve over white rice with french bread and saltine crackers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment